Sunday, September 15, 2013

Cheap Ikea Trays

I have had these Lakeshore plastic crafting trays in my room for the past 4 years, and they are going strong. They are $15.00 for 4 of them, which makes them prohibitive, in my opinion. At the time, I had gotten a wee bit of money for my classroom, and had purchased 2 sets on a hog-wild-whim. The remaining six sets (for $90 plus tax) were out of pocket for me. I loved them that much.
 Here they are in my math space, stacked up there on the left hand side. We use them very nearly daily, and we love them. Just you can see them in action here, and also, just about anywhere I talk about doing math with kids.
Whenever I'm sharing with teachers about doing math with little kids, these trays come up. They are so appealing! I used to use felt mats I cut from a roll of felt that was gifted to me. Those were free, and I used them for two years. (I cut them up and made them into whiteboard erasers since I retired them from being math mats, so I am very grateful for that gift!) The mats were good, because it defines your space. Nobody was allowed to touch your pieces once they were on your mat, so it created a nice culture in the classroom and kept others from "tidying up" your opus. It also helped with the management of 33 Littles, as they were able to move to any spot in the classroom (on the carpet, other work tables, a corner of floor) and they felt like (and acted like) they were at their own desks because of those mats. Here they are in action, with the plastic zip lock gallon bags that were our original "Math Bags".
 Then I got the trays and I saw that, really, there were some serious advantages... Case in point, this is J, and she wanted to show me this great idea she had. So she trotted it over to where I was, which she could not have done on the flimsy felt.
 Because teachers are so clever and resourceful, I've heard of lots of great ideas for having the "tray experience" without the outrageous price tag. The dollar store sells cookie sheets, for example, which I thought was super smart. There is only reason I was STILL glad to have my fancy trays after hearing that awesome idea, in fact, and that was because my trays are extra deep compared to the relatively flat lip of a baking sheet. That's not a deal breaker (especially for the cost savings) but there are many times when we have to set our math aside for the day, and the extra deep sides of the Lakeshore trays means that we can leave our math tools set up and still be able to stack them without worrying that they would tip over or not stay flat. Super helpful!
 But just this weekend I was at Ikea and found these Smula Trays. They are a frosted plastic, nice and deep, and almost exactly the same size as my trays. They are a nice hard plastic and I love them. And, they only cost $1.99 each! What a bargain for what I think is a very perfect math tray!

No comments:

Post a Comment